A Brief History About Dullstroom
Dullstroom, also known as Emnotweni is a small town in Mpumalanga province, South Africa, and along with Underberg, it is one of South Africa’s premier flyfishing destinations. The town features the highest railway station in South Africa at 2,077 m above sea level as well as at the foot of De Berg, the highest point in the province at 2,332 m high.
The town lies 35km north of Belfast and some 53km south-west of Lydenburg. It was proclaimed on 9 October 1893 and named after a merchant from Amsterdam, Wolterus Dull, chairman of a committee which rendered assistance to families who had suffered losses during the First Anglo-Boer War. The element stroom, ‘stream’, refers to the Crocodile River nearby. One of the coldest towns in South Africa, Dullstroom is the only place in the country where beech and elm trees grow; they were planted by Dutch colonists
Great places to visit in Dullstroom.
I love the the beautiful mountaineous view and woodlands ,anyone who wish to enjoy the peace of nature would love Dullstroom.
Dullstroom has been developed and you won’t run out of activities in this small village.
What to do in Dullstroom.
- Dullstroom Riding Centre: 082 442 9766; Situated at The Owl and Oak Centre 9 km towards Lydenburg. Horse rides available hourly, pony rides for children under 12 yrs. All rides take place under supervision of Dave Curtis. Contact Dave for bookings.
- Elandskloof: 5km on Machado rd. 013 2540136; 082 922 6835. Pony rides, donkey cart rides, mountain bike trails.
- Ross van Reenen Riding Centre offers pony rides for small children, and wonderful outrides for the more experienced rider. Call him on 078 245 9538 to book.
- Wildflower@Dullstroom Club undertakes regular veld excursions to view wild flowers in the region. A programme for 2012 appears here.
- Dullstroom Country Cottages: 9 km on Lydenburg Road. Horse and pony rides.
- Clay pigeon shooting: at Field and Stream, 8 km from Dullstroom on the Tonteldoos Road. Call Frank on
080 781-0242 or Greg on 083 443-4567. R350 per 25 shots.
Sport, Fitness & Beauty
Dullstroom’s high altitude (the nearby De Berg is 2300m above sea level) makes it a popular training ground for athletes from all over the world. The celebrity list includes cyclists, long distance runners, ice skaters, race walkers and orienteering athletes – from Comrades winners to Olympic gold medallists.
- Walkersons Country Manor Spa 012 253-7000
- Highland Rose Spa: Estelle on 082 570-2296
- Trevor Conn Hair Studio: 084 900-0948
- Hair Studio & Brookielace Barn 084 356 5770
Dullstroom Altitude Training Centre Gym(Established 2000)Tel:072 263-7463Email: email@example.comOpen:Mondays-Fridays:06h00 – 8h00 and 17h00 – 19h00Closed Weekends and Public HolidaysWebsite:http://www.3in1bus.net
- Tennis courts next to Critchly Corner – key at Milly’s
- Golf: Lydenburg (65km) 013 235-2537
Belfast (36km) 9 hole 013 253-0981; or club captain Willem van der Merwe on 082 436-8352
- Holistic Therapeutic Massage Master: Shaughn Over 20 years experience in therapeutic bdy massage
Over two decades in the health/wellness/hospitality industries
Nutrition analyst and presonal training. Travelling therapist.
Servicing Dullstroom and surrounding areas. Touch therapy workshops (introduction to massage)
Contact: Cell: 076 033-6688 OR Vox: 087 803-5861